Monday, June 15, 2015

Dog tries to calm owner's Aspergers meltdown: VIDEO

This just posted, about go viral video is something to watch, to help understand what Aspergers can be like.

Says the description:

This is what having aspergers is like. Please no negative comments this really happened and it's not easy to open myself and share what it's like on a daily basis. This is what's considered a meltdown. Yes Samson is alerting. I trained him to alert to depressive episodes and self harm not both but he alerted. It appears the response is late but it's actually supposed to be as I'm coming out of the meltdown as I tend to have a panic attack after.



Dogs used as a calming therapy for kids with autism has been known to soothe and help a child down.

In fact, if you look closely (make the video bigger on your screen) you can see the dog's collar says: 'Service Dogs.'

Parents of kids with autism know only TOO well what an 'autism tantrum' (as I refer to it, with my husband) looks like.

To onlookers, it looks like one of these things:

- bad parenting
- a spoilt child
- an uncontrollable child
- lax parenting rules in a household
- giving in to a rude child

It is NONE of the above.

We should know - our seven year old son has a mild autism diagnosis, and while he doesn't self-harm, his tantrums can be EPIC. And I do mean, EPIC (caps, bold intended).

If you were an onlooker you would not know where to look, what to do, and you could make one of the judgements, above.

Let the above video be a marker for you - all is not as it seems.

Don't worry - I was a judge-y parent just like you once… until I had a (beautiful, adorable, loving) child with autism.


No comments:

Post a Comment